Maya Abdominal & Womb Massage
What is Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®(ATMAT)?
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are founded on the ancient Mayan technique of abdominal and sacral massage which is an external non-invasive massage technique. When applied, they guide internal abdominal organs into their proper position for optimum health and well-being.
These techniques work by relieving congestion and blockages to improve the flow of chi and fluids of the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems to prevent the progression of chronic disease symptomology. This results in improved organ function by releasing physical and emotional congestion from the abdomen. This modality incorporates a holistic approach to health care which includes massage, anatomy and physiology, herbology, nutrition, and emotional and spiritual healing. These techniques are effective for both men and women.
Pelvic Care is for all Phases of the Womb
Pelvic health care should be part of every woman’s health protocol. Due to societal pressures and the tendency to care for everybody and everything before oneself, many modern-day women feel disconnected from their root creative center. Arvigo Therapy® helps women revitalize and reclaim their vital energy and their physical body.
FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
Relieves symptoms of PMS: including menstrual cramps, depression, low back ache
Regulates irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
Aids in preventing recurrent bladder or yeast infections
Relieves symptoms of endometriosis
Aids in dissolving ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids
Enhances fertility by preparing the uterus and body/mind/spirit for conception
Supports with miscarriages and difficult pregnancies
Relieves Pelvic congestion pain
Supports perimenopause and menopausal symptoms
Realigns tilted or prolapsed uterus and/or bladder
Breaks up scar tissue and fascial adhesion after cesarean birth or abdominal surgery
FEMALE DIGESTIVE AND GENERAL HEALTH
Relieves chronic headaches/migraines
Relieves common digestive disorders, such as reflux and heartburn
Aids in increasing general energy levels
Improves digestion with better absorption of nutrients
Alleviates symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Aids in reduction of chronic constipation or diarrhea
Relieves chronic low back pain/sciatica pain
Alleviates restricted breathing due to anxiety and tension
Helps a women connect with her sacred pelvic bowl
What to expect in a session
During the first session, we’ll discuss your health history and intentions for treatment(Please bring completed intake form to first appointment). I then introduce you to basic pelvic anatomy with a skeletal model and answer any questions you have.
- Castor oil pack over lower abdomen with hot water bottle. Castor oil has a cleansing decongesting effect on the pelvis and reproductive organs.
- Abdominal and sacral massage – a slow, deep, external treatment. Abdominal massage works from the pubic bone up to the ribs on the anterior aspect of your body. Kelley works gently through every system gently massaging away any stress and tension allowing your organs to balance and achieve homeostasis. Kelley will work along your spine and over the sacrum where nerves along the spine and through the pelvic bowl that are connected with the organs on the front of the body. This helps to stimulate circulation and blood flow within the abdominal area supporting the body for optimal function of digestive and fertile health and wellness.
- Lymphatic breast massage (optional). Gentle lymphatic drainage massage that enhances circulation and prevents the buildup of stagnant lymph fluid in the breast and armpits.
- You will be taught to do a daily self-womb massage and be given a handout with instructions so that you can take your healing into your own hands.
Maya Abdominal Therapy for Postnatal Recovery
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® can be of great support after the birth of your baby to encourage the uterus and all the organs back to their optimal position and to fully clear the uterus of any remaining residues from the birth. It is also of great support after a miscarriage/termination. During pregnancy your uterus expands to accommodate the abundance of new life growing inside you and this causes other abdominal organs to shift their position. After the birth the uterus shrinks back to its original size and this can create more rearrangement of the organs in the abdominal cavity. The uterus itself can change position after the birth, whether you have had a vaginal or Caesarian birth, and this can be the cause of postnatal prolapse, lower back pain, heavy bleeding (once your period comes back after or during breastfeeding), fatigue and so on. It is important that all the organs are in their optimal position to allow for your overall balance and well-being.
Are the techniques recommended for all women?
Almost every woman, even those who have had hysterectomies can benefit greatly from the Arvigo Techniques through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue. Direct application over the uterus is not performed:
- During menstrual bleeding
- Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
- For a woman using an IUD for birth control
- If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
- During pregnancy (Some Arvigo practitioners are trained to work with clients during pregnancy)
The Arvigo® Techniques were developed by Dr. Rosita Arvigo, DN. based on her apprenticeship with the Maya healer Don Elijio Panti and her own education, training, and research as a naprapathic physician. Kelley Linn completed Certification Level 3 Advanced Techniques of Arvigo® Therapy with Rosita Arvigo at her home in the Mayan jungle of Belize. She is deeply grateful to Rosita for sharing her wisdom, hospitality, humor and “take no bullshit” spunky attitude.